Monday 18 March 2013

The can of pop and box of cake mix thing!

So, I'm addicted to pinterest!

I keep seeing recipes for cakes and brownies popping up all the time that claim, all you need is a box of Betty Crocker cake or brownie mix and a can of coca cola!

At first I though "no, these must be spam!" but then I noticed more and more pins - mostly American bloggers doing this!

I was in my local co-op this week and Betty Crocker kits were on offer so I though "what the heck!" I wanna see if this really does work or not!

Meal Planning Mummy, the can of pop and box of cake mix thing!So all the blog posts I read, simply said to mix a full can and a full box together (contents of said packaging!)

I did this and at first it really didn't look like anything but then after a little bit of wooden spoon mixing it actually did look like cake batter!

I used the mix in a mini cupcake maker which I pre- greased. (I always forget to use it, so was pleased it was having a whirl for once!)

Within 10mins I had what looked like perfect little mini cupcakes - they were springy and perfectly rounded and smelled like ... chocolate cake! Skewer came out clean so I knew they had cooked through!

I was really surprised!

When I tried to free one from the pan, however, disaster struck! Each and every cake was stuck fast and part ripped trying to free them! Even though this is a non stick machine and I'd greased each hole - I guess as the mix doesn't have any fat it just sticks!

Would have been ok in paper cases maybe?

Even though technically the cake mix had worked - I did have what looked and smelled like cake - I have to say - it did not work because....

... They tasted disgusting!!!!

Even my chocoholic (even more than me!) kids didn't like them!


Emma the Meal Planning Mummy xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments

Emma x